Air fryer acorn squash will quickly be your favorite way of cooking winter squash if you haven't tried it. I use a little bit of honey, chipotle powder, garlic, and salt for this lovely, spicy and savory flavor combination.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%.
I absolutely love acorn squash.
It’s so delicious. When it's cooked right, I can sit down and eat the entire squash in one sitting.
It’s versatile. You can make it sweeter, like with brown sugar and cinnamon, or you can make it savory, like with garlic or chipotle powder.
It’s so easy to make in the air fryer. Seriously beyond easy! You will be hooked making air fryer acorn squash.
Is butternut squash the same as acorn squash?
Let's get our squash knowledge down before we dive in. No, butternut squash is not the same as acorn squash. They are both different types of winter squash.
Acorn Squash. You can find acorn squash at your favorite grocery store! When they are in season, they are all over. I typically buy mine from ALDI or Jewel.
Honey. Instead of oil, to give a little hint of sweetness, I drizzle honey over the squash to then have the spices stick to the squash slices better.
Granulated Garlic. I prefer to use granulated garlic over garlic powder, but you can use whatever is in your pantry!
Salt. Of course, you have to add just a pinch of salt to the air fryer acorn squash.
You might also like: Crack Green Bean Recipe
Tips for prepping acorn squash
Here are some of my tips to help you prep this roasted acorn squash.
Poke holes and microwave the acorn squash
This will help you slice the squash! It makes it just a bit softer without totally cooking the squash.
Don't peel the skin off!
I prefer to keep the skin on for two reasons. The first being it is much easier to peel off once the squash is cooked. The second is that the squash gets softer as you cook it, so for easy serving, keep the skin on.
How long does it take to roast squash in an air fryer?
That depends on the size you slice your squash, like most things, but for this recipe, it took about 10 - 12 minutes!
Do you leave acorn squash skin on?
Yes! It is much easier to peel off when the squash is cooked. Plus, the squash gets softer once it's air fried, so it makes it easier for serving.
Is it OK to eat the skin of acorn squash?
Yes, it is. However, I don't enjoy it and do not recommend it.
How to garnish air fryer acorn squash.
I decided to garnish this acorn squash with goat cheese crumbles and a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Those two garnishes just brought together the sweet, spicy and savory flavor of the squash so nicely.
Here are some helpful Amazon home finds you may want for this recipe
Pin it for later!
Want some more easy side dishes?
- Crescent Rolls in the Air Fryer
- Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Feta Fries
Air Fryer Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash seeded and sliced
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp chipotle seasoning
- ½ tbsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F
- Poke holes in your acorn squash using a fork, then microwave for 2 minutes.
- Slice the stem off, then slice the squash in half lenthwise.
- Using a spoon, remove the seeds.
- Place the squash cut side down and slice into ½ inch thick slices.
- Place your sliced squash in a bowl, and add your honey, garlic, chipotle powder and salt.
- Toss until evenly coated then place in the air fryer basket.
- You'll want to have NO overlap, so you may need to cook in batches.
- Cook for 10 - 12 minutes, or until you can easily pierce with a fork.
- Once they're done, place them on a serving platter, drizzle balsamic reduction on top and sprinkle some goat cheese.