Ok. Don’t let this super long and obnoxious name for this recipe scare you. This tomato & spinach pasta is actually super simple, and one of my favorite pasta dishes to whip up. Seriously. Like it is so easy. A lot of pasta dishes are simple, it is the sauces that are the hard part. However, even this sauce is super simple. Butter, oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cherry tomatoes and spinach.
This is always a crowd pleaser with my family. After testing it on my immediate family, I then tested it on my Grandparents and Great-Uncle. They also approved. I knew once I got their approval, it was okay to post on the internet.
In the Kelly house, we are garlic fanatics. One of my favorite stories is my brother’s friends confronted him about smelling like garlic whenever he would go out with them on a Friday night. (Friday nights usually consists of happy hour, apps, a homemade meal and post-dinner drinks at the Kelly house) With that being said, this recipe is a double, but I used an entire head of garlic. That may be too overpowering for some people, so I would say minimum, use half a clove of garlic.
This recipe is also perfect for the summer season, cause Farmer’s Markets! Fresh cherry tomatoes, spinach and basil! Yes, please.
Below you will find the recipe for 1 box of pasta!
Tomato & Spinach Pasta in a Browned Garlic, Butter & Basil Sauce
- 1 lb (box) Pasta, we use thin spaghetti
- 1 lb Spinach
- 1 10.5 oz Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 stick Butter
- 1/2 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 head Garlic
- 1 handful Basil, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Crush or chop your garlic into a large bowl, I crush mine using a garlic press. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat up 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) of butter over medium heat until it is melted. Pour in you garlic, and stir until the butter and garlic is evenly mixed.
- While your garlic is browning, cut your cherry tomatoes in half. Set aside.
- Also while your garlic is browning, start boiling your water for your pasta. Once the water is boiling, add a pinch of salt, and cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- Of your 1/2 c of Olive Oil, pour in 2 tbsp in your frying pan with your browned garlic. Next, pour in your cherry tomatoes. Stir until the cherry tomatoes and oil is evenly mixed.
- Cook your cherry tomatoes for 7-10 minutes (until they look like the first picture above).
- By this time, your pasta should be done cooking. Drain your pasta.
- In your pasta pot, pour in the rest of your olive oil and butter. Stir until the butter is melted. Dump in your entire box of spinach, and cook your spinach in the pasta pot. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. The heat of the pasta and the tomato/garlic mixture will also help cook the spinach. You don't want over cooked spinach!
- Once your spinach is cooked, pour your pasta on top of the spinach, and then your tomato/garlic mixture on top of that. Stir until your veggies and sauce is evenly mixed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.