Now that the 12 Cupcakes of Christmas are long gone, I have been dying to make another cupcake. Originally, I wanted to do a vanilla cupcake with a maraschino cherry filling. I attempted to cut the cherries, use the juice and some sugar and make a jelly filling. Instead, I created something so incredibly hard. I thought I was going to break a tooth. So, I had to improvise…. but then I remembered I had Nutella in the cabinet and strawberries in the freezer. Hello, Neapolitan Cupcakes!
The Nutella in the middle of these cupcakes is just wonderful. I mean, Nutella is phenomenal by itself. Then pair it with this cupcake + strawberry frosting…. flavor town.
As for filling these cupcakes, I did the “cone” technique. I cut a cone in the middle of the cupcake, put the Nutella in there and then topped the hole. Since that was SUPER confusing, read up on how to do that here!
I used about 5 thawed strawberries for the frosting. However, I highly recommend fresh strawberries. The frozen strawberries made my frosting a bit more runny than I like.
For the Cupcake:
- 1 1/2 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 c. Butter, room temp
- 1 c. Sugar
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 c. Buttermilk
- 1/4 c. French Vanilla Coffee Cream
- Nutella, for filling
For the Frosting
- 1 stick Butter, room temp
- 3-4 c. Powdered Sugar
- 5 Strawberries, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Milk
- Dash Vanilla Extract
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line 14 cupcake tins
- In a small bowl, combine your flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk or Sift these three ingredients together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat your butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add in your 1 c. sugar, and beat until the sugar and butter are combined.
- One at a time, add in your eggs to your butter and sugar mixture. Ensure that each egg is beat into the batter until you add in the next one.
- In a cup, or a measuring cup, combine your milk, cream and vanilla extract.
- Alternating, beginning and ending with your flour mixture, fold (with spatula) in the dry mix and your milk/vanilla mix into your butter, sugar and egg batter.
- Fill your lined cupcake tins 3/4 full, and bake for 15 minutes
- Once cooled, fill your cupcakes with 1/2-1 tbsp Nutella.
For the Frosting
- Take your room temp butter and beat it until creamed
- Alternating, add your powdered sugar and milk.
- Once the sugar and milk are added, beat in your strawberries. Continue to beat for an additional three minutes.
- Top your cupcakes and enjoy!