I’ve been on an Across the Universe kick. How many nights in a row is too many to watch it before bed? Does that limit even exist? I’m starting to think that it doesn’t.
Also, stay tuned, because next week I am running my very first giveaway! Keep your eyes peeled for that.
Let’s get to the point of this entire post…. These. Cupcakes. The lemon flavor is so refreshing and perfect for this warmer weather we have coming our way. The lemon flavor isn’t too over-powering, yet it is just sour enough. That mixed with the vanilla buttercream, this cupcake + frosting combo is to die for.
I searched the internet reading various lemon cupcake recipes to get an idea of what exactly goes into them. I wanted to keep mine simple, no sour cream, no cake flour, nothing too crazy. In my opinion, maybe I’m like a biiiiiiiit biased, the simplicity is what makes this cupcake so good. Not to mention super easy to make.
Without further ado, here is the recipe for my lemon cupcake. Want the recipe for my vanilla buttercream? Checkout this post here!
- 1.5 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1/2 c. milk, I used buttermilk, room temp
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line 15 cupcake tins
- In a small bowl, combine your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt). Set aside.
- Beat your butter until it is light and fluffy, then add in your 1 c. sugar. Continue to beat until the butter and sugar are combined thoroughly.
- One by one, add in each egg. Be sure to fully incorporate the first egg before adding in the second, and be sure to fully incorporate the second egg before adding the vanilla extract.
- Add in your vanilla extract.
- Alternating, starting and ending with your dry ingredient mix, add in your dry ingredient mix and milk. Beat together until just fully mixed.
- Fold in your lemon zest.
- Fill your cupcake tins 3/4 of the way full, bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick can be stuck in the middle and comes out clean.
- Let your cupcakes fully cool, frost and enjoy!