I do like to occasionally treat myself to a manicure. However, I have found it far more easier, and of course less expensive, to give myself at-home manicures every other week or so. With this post, I will show you all the tools you need and what to do to give you a perfect at-home manicure. So here’s what you’ll need
- Cuticle Groomer- I use this one this one here
- Coconut Oil- I use this big ol’ tub here
- Nail Polish Remover
- Base Coat- I use this base coat (it also doubles as a top coat!) here
- Nail Polish
- Top Coat- although my base coat doubles as a top coat, I am in love with this Essie top coat here
Once you have all your tools gathered, you can get started. I find that giving myself a manicure works best after I take a hot shower. I also love exfoliating my hands using my homemade exfoliation scrub (found here) So, let’s get started!
- Cut and trim your nails and remove any access nail polish.
- Coat your cuticles in coconut oil, and use the wedge side of your cuticle groomer to push all your cuticles back. Once all of them are pushed back, use the other end of the groomer, and run that over your cuticles. You will see that it will pick up any of the dead skin and cuticles you have pushed back.
- Wash your hands with soap and water, this will ensure that you get all of the oil off of your hands
- Using nail polish remover, do one more sweep on each nail to ensure that your nail beds are in prime condition to keep polish on.
- Put on one coat of base coat on each of your nails. Wait 2-3 minutes between each coat from here on out.
- Then put on your first coat of color, wait a few minutes, and apply your second coat
- Wait longer than 2-3 minutes, I would say no longer than 10 minutes, and apply your top coat.
- I like to put my fan on low or use my blow dryer, on cool air and low air blow, to speed up the drying process. But be sure to paint your nails when you don’t have anything to do for 45 minutes or so! This gives the best results.
The nail polish colors I am loving this fall are “Got the Blues for Reds”- seen in this post here, “Here Today, Aragon Tomorrow”- seen in this post here, “My Vampire is Buff”- you can find it here.